Questionnaire
Feedback from VFX project
To get honest opinions from my
Visual Effects advertisement I have produced for this project, I have made a
questionnaire asking questions based on the effectiveness of the Visual Effects
made and the advertisement as a whole for personal feedback too. I will talk
about what questions I asked in the questionnaire and what feedback was
responded to those questions.
I had pitched my Visual Effects to
a group of level 3 animation students, in hopes that when they begin to do
Visual Effects at University, they will begin to understand what types of
animations can be achieved in a set time.
My first question I had asked was what they thought about the VFX. I had based the answers from the following options: Effective, A little effective, Okay, Not Good, and Terrible. This was so that they have a choice on what they honestly thought about the piece of work. Astonishingly, most had answered effective and one answered a little effective.
Next, I wanted to know what they thought about the glow effect on the hologram. Whilst making it, I had feedback from class mates to see what colours and effects I could add to the glow channel in Autodesk Composite. I proceeded to asking the question too in the feedback, using the same answers as for the first question. Again, a lot answered effective and one answered a little effective.
Whilst doing the recording, I had tried doing different types of camera shots to see what looked best. Personally, I felt a pan from left to right was the best option rather than a pan of up and down. The answers were either a yes or a no, with all feedback answering yes.
When I began filming this project, I had trouble with lighting up my scene. I later resorted to using a studio light to do so which helped me out, but I wanted to know what others felt about the lighting in this scene as well. This time around the answers were Excellent, Good, Okay, Not good, and Terrible. All of the feedback sheets had answered Good. I felt that maybe the lighting was not all that great in the scene; but nonetheless it did help to track the footage very well.
Next, I wanted to know the opinions of the colours of the holograms. I had asked if they felt right for the hologram and if no, would they change it to a different colour. When imagining this project I felt that a turquoise hologram glow was probably the most cliché that a lot of people have made. All the feedback responded with yes.
Once the questions about the visual effects were asked, I then wanted to ask more loose questions about the rest of the advertisement, seeing if people felt it looked and sounded good. My first question I asked was what they felt about the whole advert. The answer choices I put down were Excellent, Good, Okay, Not good, and Terrible. Finding this to be quite unexpectedly successful, I wanted to know what others felt about it too. The answers were half and half between Excellent and Good, meaning they all enjoyed it, but some more than others.
I had discussed with my friend (who acted in some of the scenes) about making voices in the animation that would be put over some of the scenes that were either recorded or animated in either Flash or Photoshop. He commented that it would be funny if I did silly voices in this as it was a mock advertisement for a product that doesn’t exist. This feedback was personal to me if I wanted to continue doing any voice work for animations and advertisements. The answer choices were Comical, A little funny, Okay, Bland, and Boring. Most had answered comical with only one answering a little funny.
Still imagining how this project would be done, I had thought carefully about what soundtrack I could add in to the advertisement; I remembered watching an animation about making Sonic the Hedgehog fan characters that an animator on the internet had made which I found that the song choice fitted it. Because this advertisement was meant to have a comical touch to it, I wanted to use this soundtrack. It had originally come from the game Sonic Unleashed and only about one minute of it was used for the advert. Getting people’s feedback, I asked if it had fitted well and they all responded with yes.
Finally, I had asked the most important question whenever I wanted to get feedback in the most effective way. I had asked for them to leave a comment about what they thought was good or bad about the advertisement and what they could possibly improve on. I always enjoy receiving constructive feedback when making animations as it helps me to broaden my horizons of how to make certain specific areas better alongside areas I have already made great. One noted that the style of the advert was comical in the sense that I had been inspired by a group of people called the Game Grumps that make comical advertisements on YouTube whenever selling merchandise. One commented that the voices I had made were very booming. Admittedly, I had used a microphone that was clearer than another one I have but at the cost of the bass being too powerful for the speakers. Most had commented that the hologram scene was good but still needed improvements. Originally, I had intended to make the hologram appear 3D, but it ended up being 2D thanks to the glow effect from each hologram icon in front of the background hologram. Suggestions were either making the hologram move so the 3D could be seen in it, or doing a different camera shot and keep the hologram static above the Vita.
My first question I had asked was what they thought about the VFX. I had based the answers from the following options: Effective, A little effective, Okay, Not Good, and Terrible. This was so that they have a choice on what they honestly thought about the piece of work. Astonishingly, most had answered effective and one answered a little effective.
Next, I wanted to know what they thought about the glow effect on the hologram. Whilst making it, I had feedback from class mates to see what colours and effects I could add to the glow channel in Autodesk Composite. I proceeded to asking the question too in the feedback, using the same answers as for the first question. Again, a lot answered effective and one answered a little effective.
Whilst doing the recording, I had tried doing different types of camera shots to see what looked best. Personally, I felt a pan from left to right was the best option rather than a pan of up and down. The answers were either a yes or a no, with all feedback answering yes.
When I began filming this project, I had trouble with lighting up my scene. I later resorted to using a studio light to do so which helped me out, but I wanted to know what others felt about the lighting in this scene as well. This time around the answers were Excellent, Good, Okay, Not good, and Terrible. All of the feedback sheets had answered Good. I felt that maybe the lighting was not all that great in the scene; but nonetheless it did help to track the footage very well.
Next, I wanted to know the opinions of the colours of the holograms. I had asked if they felt right for the hologram and if no, would they change it to a different colour. When imagining this project I felt that a turquoise hologram glow was probably the most cliché that a lot of people have made. All the feedback responded with yes.
Once the questions about the visual effects were asked, I then wanted to ask more loose questions about the rest of the advertisement, seeing if people felt it looked and sounded good. My first question I asked was what they felt about the whole advert. The answer choices I put down were Excellent, Good, Okay, Not good, and Terrible. Finding this to be quite unexpectedly successful, I wanted to know what others felt about it too. The answers were half and half between Excellent and Good, meaning they all enjoyed it, but some more than others.
I had discussed with my friend (who acted in some of the scenes) about making voices in the animation that would be put over some of the scenes that were either recorded or animated in either Flash or Photoshop. He commented that it would be funny if I did silly voices in this as it was a mock advertisement for a product that doesn’t exist. This feedback was personal to me if I wanted to continue doing any voice work for animations and advertisements. The answer choices were Comical, A little funny, Okay, Bland, and Boring. Most had answered comical with only one answering a little funny.
Still imagining how this project would be done, I had thought carefully about what soundtrack I could add in to the advertisement; I remembered watching an animation about making Sonic the Hedgehog fan characters that an animator on the internet had made which I found that the song choice fitted it. Because this advertisement was meant to have a comical touch to it, I wanted to use this soundtrack. It had originally come from the game Sonic Unleashed and only about one minute of it was used for the advert. Getting people’s feedback, I asked if it had fitted well and they all responded with yes.
Finally, I had asked the most important question whenever I wanted to get feedback in the most effective way. I had asked for them to leave a comment about what they thought was good or bad about the advertisement and what they could possibly improve on. I always enjoy receiving constructive feedback when making animations as it helps me to broaden my horizons of how to make certain specific areas better alongside areas I have already made great. One noted that the style of the advert was comical in the sense that I had been inspired by a group of people called the Game Grumps that make comical advertisements on YouTube whenever selling merchandise. One commented that the voices I had made were very booming. Admittedly, I had used a microphone that was clearer than another one I have but at the cost of the bass being too powerful for the speakers. Most had commented that the hologram scene was good but still needed improvements. Originally, I had intended to make the hologram appear 3D, but it ended up being 2D thanks to the glow effect from each hologram icon in front of the background hologram. Suggestions were either making the hologram move so the 3D could be seen in it, or doing a different camera shot and keep the hologram static above the Vita.
From the feedback I received from
this group, I felt that they were very helpful in helping me to improve for
next time when making another advertisement like this. I have found their
criticism very constructive and have confidence in them all that they how
holograms would look in visual effects.
No comments:
Post a Comment